Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fairy Tales

In my college class we're studying fairy tales. I have to say, the one thing about this subject that always comes up is the naiveté that seems to ooze from all sorts of fairy tales. The subject of Disney is also brought up.

Now, I grew up on fairy tales. I enjoy them and thrive on them. However, it seems to me that whenever fairy tales are focused on or discussed, the one thing that always comes up is the damsel in distress, and the princess being saved by a handsome prince. Disney immortalized this theme, and I get the feeling that people think this is a bad thing.

I say it now and I say it then...

What's wrong with Disney? Is it so bad in the twenty-first century to still enjoy Disney? Are more parents shying away from Disney because it sends the "wrong" message to kids?

All my professors appear to elude to this. While I don't think all of them are sold on the idea, I think a lot of them believe that Disney had the market on teaching our kids about fairy tales, but sugar-coated it so much that it's giving us all a toothache.

I respect my professors and the other intellectuals around the world that believe in this viewpoint. However, I have to say I disagree. Disney and others like it are forms of entertainment. It's not like solid literature that we're exposed to when we reach the post-high school period of our lives.

Maybe I've got my head in the clouds, or maybe I'm still naive myself from all those hours of watching Disney. But I still feel there's nothing wrong with Disney. Other authors are welcome to adapt the stories and make them their own. However, the beauty of the beast is that we’re allowed choice. No one says we have to be stuck in a rut and only restrict ourselves to Disney, the Grimm’s or even Angela Carter.

No comments: