Sunday, October 25, 2009

The home stretch?

Bittersweet Promises lived up to its name. While I can't complain about the gooey happily-ever-after, the last 100-200 pages was really tough for me. So the heroine is on the run with her little brother. The only spoiler about this book I'll give is that the heroine goes to Missouri to find her brother's real father and get him to marry her so she can have a better chance of keeping the boy. Of course, the heroine is set and determined to go through with it, despite the hero and herself falling in love. And when she eventually catches up with this unknown man, he agrees to her plan.

I'm the last person, as I've said in my past blogs, to be griping about an author's story. Lord knows I probably couldn't do better. With that being said, this book started out great for me, slumped in the middle and only picked up at the very end. I think the part that irked me the most was that the unknown man knew about the hero and heroine being in love, but was willing to split them up so the villianous father wouldn't get his hands on the little brother.

I'm not into books like this, with some kind of weird love-triangle. I feel my attention is being turned towards the relationship between a main character and a secondary character.

Yes, I can see a pattern for myself here. I'm sure someone's got to be thinking, is there any books that I actually really like? I'm ashamed to say that the books I devour cover-to-cover and put down with a pleased sigh are far and few between. I've talked with my more experienced writer friends, and they laughingly tell me (albeit in a nice way) that I've just gotten picky. I can't deny that! I've gotten terribly selective in the books I read. But I remember what someone once told me not that long ago. There are thousands and thousands of books in the world, and with so many to choose from, you can afford to be picky!

Anyway, I'm counting down the hours now till the end of the 24 hours of reading! I believe I have about three more hours. I'll probably squeeze in one more book. In the past 24 hours, I've managed to eat, walk my dog and other little things without stopping my reading. Although the one thing I haven't been able to do is shower. Oh man, I'm going to enjoy taking a nice hot shower and laying on my nice soft bed and catching some Zs!

No comments: