Monday, October 12, 2009

My Monday Night Excitement

Monday night I was a bit late in walking my dog. No big deal as I've been making it a habit to go a little past sundown in order to miss the heat. It was going to be like any other night.

So as I was turning a corner to walk up the street, I was listening to my little radio that I had in my back pocket. I know to be aware of my surroundings and if anyone is walking behind or near me. But I guess it was one of those times I let my guard slip. Don't worry, it was not a bad thing. I stopped to let my dog sniff. This guy stops next to us and asked me if my dog was okay. I remember looking at him with a blank look on my face. I glanced down at my dog (as if that would do any good) and simply repeated, "Something wrong with my dog?" And he elaborated by asking if my pooch bit or anything like that. All of a sudden the lightbulb went on. I noticed that my dog was shying away from the man and wouldn't come near him. I quickly asked the guy if he had any facial hair.

I think this guy must've thought I had a few screws loose, because he was like, "What?" And I put my hand on my chin and asked if he had a beard or a mustache. He probably didn't quite understand why I was asking, but answered in the affirmative. I don't even remember what he said he had now. (Kind of funny to be honest.) I went on to explain that my little poochie has a problem with guys and facial hair. He absolutely detests men with beards or mustaches.

By this time the two of us are bending down, and I was trying to coax my dog to go near the guy. He's such a friendly little thing with other people. Unfortunately, my dog was having none of it. Wouldn't take a step toward the guy even with my encouragement. I took the moment to explain that we (my family) think he came from a puppy mill and was abused by someone with a beard or mustache, because ever since we got him he's been severely afraid of those types of people. A neighbor, I said, even sees him every day and my dog barely acknowledges him. I told the guy, "Don't take it personally."

The guy was good-natured about it. He started to tell me that he used to breed Boxers, but at this point he got a phone call. I didn't move as my dog was still sniffing around. I thought it was funny how he lost his shyness the minute the guy turned his attention away from him!

The guy stood there for a few seconds talking on his phone, and I happened to catch a lot of what he was saying. I didn't mean to, but when someone is standing two feet away from you, it's hard to ignore. I couldn't help but overhear that to the other person on the line he said something about just coming from the set of "Lost". I, figuratively speaking, raised my eyebrows. While I've never ever watched the show, I know of it.

Maybe at this point the guy decided to just go, or maybe he realized that he just told me, a perfect stranger, that he worked on the set of a popular television show by accident. Either way, the guy beat a hasty retreat. Personally, if the latter reason is why he ran away, he didn't have anything to worry about. As I said, I've never watched Lost and in addition to that, I wouldn't even be able to recognize the guy if I met him again. I was more interested in hearing about breeding Boxers, to be honest. I wanted to breed my dog a long time ago, but since my mother insisted he get snipped, that idea got nipped in the bud. But I still would've liked to have tried. It sounded like an interesting hobby. Then again, I need another hobby like a hole in the head.

I debated on whether to blog this, but I figured, what the hey, it's not like I'll ever run into that guy again. Plus, it's the most exciting thing that happened to me lately. I lead such a boring life, I'll take my thrills where I get them!

No comments: